Monday, August 07, 2006

Legacy

I was headed to a conference in Evansville yesterday, and headed west out of Indy on a familiar stretch of road on I-70. This was the road to my beloved grandparents house, and since I had three hours in the car, I reflected on their lives:
  • The first memory is that of myself as a child going to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Just west of the Linton-Brazil exit, we could always count on Mom saying "There's the mine!" As a child, your heart starting beating faster because "There's the mine!" always meant "We're almost there!" We couldn't wait to get to their house!
  • I thought about their example in their marriage. They married young...I think around 20 years old...and had been married in the neighborhood of 65+ years when my Grandpa passed away. What an example for today!
  • I thought about the legacy of faith that they left behind in their family. Three kids who love the Lord and, as a result, numerous grandkids that love the Lord. That's what I want Sarah and I to be remembered for when we leave this Earth and head Home.

Jesus said in Matthew 6:19-20 "19Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

I'm eternally grateful to have a powerful example of this in my lifetime in the form of my grandparents. I'm humbly honored to continue that legacy in my child(ren) as well.

4 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are well on your way, Son. You and Sarah are active in your church and have Christian friends with the same goal as you...Heaven. May God bless and keep you close to Him no matter what comes and may you serve and glorify him always. And soon we'll say, "There's the Lord!" and our stomachs will flutter and we will be so excited because we will almost be home!

I love you!
Mom

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Shaun Groves said...

Ahhh. I need a Kleenex.

Seriously, thanks for the link...and this post.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Mr. Hayes said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Mr. Hayes said...

Hello Andy! Casey Hayes here. It is nice to see that your life is wonderful and blessed. Be Well and tell your mom "Hello!" for me. -Casey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home